Being a Mentee
As a Mentee in the Program, You Will:
- Learn from a marketing professional who have more experience
- Improve strategic thinking and decision making skills
- Identify opportunities for improvement of skills and areas of focus for personal growth
- Create a personal business plan and roadmap to achieve future goals and differentiate your value as a marketer
10 Tips to Be a Successful Mentee
- Be open to new perspectives and ideas.
- Be assertive and reach out to your Mentor as needed.
- Follow up if your Mentor doesn’t get back to you in a timely manner.
- Ask your Mentor if there are any skills you have that they might want to know more about.
- Be willing to share information, ideas and skills that could contribute to your Mentor’s further success.
- Remember your Mentor is volunteering their time.
- Realize your Mentor is juggling multiple demands.
- Define a clear roadmap for yourself and the Mentoring Program. Share that with your Mentor.
- Come to all meetings with a clear idea of what you want to accomplish. Be the driver of the interactions with your Mentor.
- Enjoy your mentoring experience.
Role of the Mentee
- Participate in all sessions promptly.
- Develop short and long term goals for sharing with the Mentor to provide content for your sessions.
- Accept feedback and positive criticism from your mentor, be patient and cooperative.
- Respect your Mentor as they are seasoned professionals who have volunteered their time to help you.
- Understand the purpose of the program and definition of what a Mentor is and is not (the Mentor is a career counselor, not an advocate or recruiter).
- Utilize the Mentoring Program as an opportunity to gain an opinion from a marketing professional on career direction and future skills needed.
- You must be an active AMA New York member for the duration of your participation in the program.
- You must be employed fulltime in marketing or a marketing related field.
- You must complete the application form completely.
- You must commit to participating in the Mentor/Mentee relationship for the full 6-month period.
- You must commit to meeting with your Mentor in-person at least once within the first month of being matched to them.
- You must commit to meeting with them in person, via video chat or phone once a month for all other months.
- You must be able and willing to keep any and all communications within your Mentor/Mentee relationship confidential.
- You must commit not to actively seek out any kind of business relationship or be hired directly by the Mentor’s department during the time you are formally connected within the program (for the 6-month period).
- You must be willing to abide by the program requirements.
- You must be willing to proactively reach out to the designated member of the mentoring committee if any problems arise in your Mentor/Mentee relationship.
- You must be willing to complete an evaluation of the program at the end of the formal 6-month period.
The AMA New York welcomes all of its members to participate in the Mentoring Program. Mentor and Mentee qualifications will be reviewed by the Mentoring Program Committee as part of the application and matching process. It is the policy of the AMA New York to provide equal opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual preference, age, or disability.
For information regarding the AMA New York Mentoring Program, please contact: email@example.com.