Embracing Diversity, Advancing Equity
we have a responsibility to leverage our platform to foster true belonging
AMA DEI Pledge to Advance Social Justice, Racial Equity, and Anti-Racism
We believe marketing has the power to make a difference
As innovators, strategizers, ambassadors, and storytellers, we shape narratives that communicate value, create meaning, and establish societal norms. As stewards of the brand and voice of the customer, we have a responsibility to leverage our platform to foster true belonging within our chapters, communities, and society as a whole.
The catalyst of our actions stems from the unjust murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and countless other lives lost due to police brutality. Our inaction and silence in the past have resulted in hurt, exclusion, and harm in ways that we cannot measure, but we are committed to rectifying this and ensuring that our efforts are sustainable and far-reaching.
Achieving equity among all of our communities is our goal with race being the most challenging obstacle to overcome and the most pervasive part of our history. Collectively, we can tackle the inequities that face many members of our society using the power of marketing to elevate the voices of underrepresented communities of color while celebrating the various differences that make up the complete fabric of our society.
Understanding Our DEI Efforts
As a chapter of the American Marketing Association and as marketers representing a diverse set of people, industries, and disciplines:
- We commit to recruiting and retaining Black, Brown, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) representation* within our board of directors, leadership teams, volunteers, and membership.
- We commit to increasing Black, Brown, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) representation throughout our products and services, thought leadership, campaigns, programming, and distribution networks.
- We commit to building a pipeline of marketers that reflect the demographics of the populations we serve.
- We commit to partnering with organizations that value and have demonstrated their support to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- We commit to further educating ourselves as to the plight of racial and social injustice and will use our platform to facilitate courageous conversations that promote anti-bias and anti-racism within the marketing community.
- We commit to demonstrating how we are progressing toward our commitments to hold ourselves accountable and make continuous improvements.